Health Benefits of Swimming This Summer  

by Pool Builders on 08-14-2014 in Articles

Swimming has the benefit of imbuing you with new strength, enhanced energy and well-being. This summer, take to your local pool or beach for a splash and swim to invigorate the senses. Here are a few reasons to start swimming today, and get an extra boost for your health.

Lighten up!

Swimming offers something no other aerobic exercise does: the ability to work your body without harsh impact to your skeletal system. When the human body is submerged in water, it automatically becomes lighter. When immersed to the waist, your body bears just 50 percent of its weight; dip yourself down to the chest and that number reduces to around 25 to 35 percent; with water all the way to the neck, you only have to bear 10 percent of your own weight - the other 90 percent is handled by the pool. That's great news for your joints! It's been proven that water based exercises improve the use of affected joints and decrease pain from osteoarthritis.


Ever notice how €ripped' swimmers are? That's because swimming is a great way to increase muscle strength and muscle tone - especially when compared to other aerobic exercises. Swimmers are propelling themselves through the water, which means that every stroke and kick becomes a resistance exercise. It is well know that resistance exercises are the best way to build up muscle tone and strength. Swimming is really a two for one - great summer fun, and excellent exercise.

Limber up

Unlike exercise machines in a gym based environment that tend to isolate just one body part at a time (like a bicep or thigh curl machine, for example), swimming puts the body through a broad range of motion that helps joints and ligaments stay loose and flexible. You're using and working out every part of your body at once! With every stroke, as you reach forward, you're also lengthening the body, which also helps give you a good stretch from head to toe. Add to this flexibility by stretching your body gently before and after swimming.


In addition to toning our physical exterior and muscles, swimming also helps improve the most important muscle in our bodies: the heart. Because swimming is an aerobic exercise, it serves to strengthen the heart, not only helping it to become larger, but making it more efficient in pumping €" which leads to better blood flow throughout your body. Just 30 minutes a day can reduce coronary heart disease in women significantly.

So what are you waiting for! Take advantage of this beautiful weather and improve your strength, muscle tone and keep your heart healthy. There are no better reasons to slip on that itsy bitty teeny bikiny!

Always consult your chiropractor or primary care physician prior to implementing any new exercise routines.

Leave a Comment

List YOUR Pool Business