How This Pool Alarm Can Be Your Extra Eye When You Can't Be There

by Pool Builders on 06-06-2010 in Articles

I grew up around a swimming pool. I also learned to swim at a very young age. The reason I know that is because I can't remember ever NOT knowing how to swim. I don't remember being told to be careful around the pool, but I'm sure someone mentioned it. Anyhow, I survived growing up with a swimming pool. I was one of the lucky ones. Many children don't survive.

There are a lot of statistics regarding children drowning in swimming pools.

  • According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), in the year 2004, 26% of all children between the ages of 1 and 4 who died, did so by drowning.
  • And now, according to a 2008 Press Release from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, drowning is the #1 cause of accidental death in children.
  • It is estimated that for every death by drowning there are another 1 - 4 non-fatal near drownings of children that require hospitalization. Sometimes these children are still being administered CPR when they arrive at the emergency room. Those kids have a poor prognosis and about half of them will have some kind of brain damage.
  • About 19% of children who have drowned have succumbed to this terrible fate while at a public pool with a certified lifeguard present. That means the other 81% were at private homes.
  • A child 4 yrs. old or younger is 14 times more likely to die in a swimming pool accident than in a vehicle accident.
  • Of all pre-schoolers who drown, 75% are out of sight of their parent or guardian for 5 minutes or less.
  • About 92% of children who survive submersion are discovered within 2 minutes of going under, and about 86% of those who die were not found for more than 10 minutes after submersion.

And that is why it is so important to invest in an extra eye for your swimming pool. The Pool Protector pool alarm sits on the edge of your pool and "watches" for any unusual activity, such as a child or pet accidentally falling in. It then sounds a loud alarm not only at the unit on your pool but also at the remote receiver stationed in your house or wherever you want to place it up to 200 ft from the pool sensor. And once it's installed, it's always activated and on duty until you put it in Sleep Mode. No one can move or steal it without putting it in Sleep Mode or the alarm will sound.

Kids think they're invincible, immortal. If a little boy's parent says "stay out of the pool until I get back", the first thing he's going to do is get in that pool as soon as the parent is out of sight. With the Pool Protector, you'll know your child has disobeyed when the alarm immediately sounds.

As much as you'd like to, don't trust your youngsters to stay away from your built-in swimming pools. Sometimes that clear cool water is just too inviting on a hot day. Or maybe they think they can reach the ball that just floated away from the edge, or maybe they want to see if the new toy boat will float. Whatever the reason, your child can end up in a very dangerous situation without the help of an electronic monitoring system. Don't take chances when you don't have to. Your child's life is at stake. Remember, it only takes a matter of minutes to lose a precious little being.

Leave a Comment

 
List YOUR Pool Business