Swimming Pool Algae - Steps to Get Rid of It

by Pool Builders on 05-07-2009 in Articles

Swimming pool algae is one of the more common problems the owner of a pool may face. This is especially true if the pool is located in an active weather climate, or surrounded by trees. Luckily, treating swimming pool algae doesn't have to be such a headache.

The best way to get rid of the algae is to "shock" your pool. Shock is a highly concentrated form of chlorine used to quickly elevate the levels of chlorine in a swimming pool. The idea is to raise it to the point where organic things cannot survive. Obviously this makes it unsafe to swim in, so after a shock treatment monitor the chemical levels of your pool before letting people go in it.

Before shocking, however, it's best to brush all the algae off of the walls of your pool. This will make the shocking treatment much more effective since there won't be as much algae to take care of.

Once the pool is ready to be shocked, do so. The typical maintenance dose of shock is one bag per 10,000 gallons of water. If you live in an especially rainy area you may need to add a bit more. If you're unsure, consult the manufacturer for their advice on what the best amount should be.

During the shocking treatment, be sure that your pool pump is on at all times. This allows the shock to circulate properly. Also, make sure you're keeping an eye on your filter. You may need to clean it and backwash it several times during the process, since the pool is circulating dead algae can easily get trapped.

After a day if the water isn't noticeably better, repeat the shocking process.

Once your pool is back to normal, be sure to do a thorough vacuuming to get rid of all the dead swimming pool algae that will have fallen to the bottom.

Leave a Comment

 
List YOUR Pool Business